Sunday 13 July 2014

Style Profile: Jenn McNaughton

Jenn McNaughton is no stranger when it comes to the fashion industry. From working as a weekly contributor for MTV Fora and writing for Style Nine to Five, to working for Hello! Canada magazine as well as Sephora; I would say this girl is a big deal. Her style is edgy and modern, and she looks like she stepped right out of a magazine! Jenn recently launched her new blog, EthcsofStyl , that captures all she has progressed to be, and is one of her many creative outlets. Jenn is currently a Journalism student at Ryerson University and working for Hello! Canada magazine. She started at Hello! as just a fashion and beauty intern, but then coincidentally was one of thirteen selected by Rogers Publishing "Magazine School Program", to work there as an Editorial Intern. When I interviewed Jenn, I couldn't get over how lovely of a person she is. She is a very kind and well-spoken individual. Here is her interview and beautiful photos to go along with it!


Mikayla:

If you could describe your style in one word, what would it be?

Jenn: 

Modern. Mikayla:

What's the best piece of advice you could offer to a budding fashionista?

Jenn:

As cliché as it is, stay true to who you are. Find your own voice and path in the industry - don’t sacrifice that while trying to establish yourself. There will be room for you, somewhere. Oh! And another thing, fashion isn’t all about the glamour so don’t strive to work in fashion if you just have a love for clothing; it’s much, much more than that. Mikayla:

Where do you look for, and find your unique style inspiration?

Jenn:

Inspiration for me usually comes from a number of different places. It can be something I’ve personally experienced – i.e. a trip, relationship, etc. Or, it can be some work that I’ve viewed, generated by trails of another – i.e. a blog, runway show, gallery, campaign, etc. I’m a very visual person, so I find that I’m most inspired by photographs and illustrations. As a writer, this is crucial because you’re essentially painting the picture through descriptors.


Mikayla:

What would be your top favourite clothing stores/brands to shop from?

Jenn:

My wardrobe consists of ASOS, Zara, and Topshop for my unfortunate student budget. Ideally, it would contain a little more Wang and Givenchy. Mikayla:

What trends are you excited for this coming Fall?
Jenn:

To be honest, I’m not much of a trend follower. I think everyone should dress for their personal aesthetic and not rely on what someone tells them to wear. I buy a few key pieces each season that I know will transition well over the years. This fall it will be a tie-knot blanket coat (seen at Max Mara and Celine), south western inspired pieces (at Tibi, Alexis Mabille and Dion Lee) and tight knits (seen at Prabal Gurung and Acne).



Mikayla:

How did you land your position at Hello! Canada?

Jenn:

I applied just like the rest and did my research. Ryerson is really good at sending out internship/job offerings every so often and Hello! happened to be one of them. I sent along my resume, cover letter and some writing examples. Once I got word that I had an interview, I brought along a portfolio (a tangible one – not just an online extension of my blog). It doesn’t matter how big or small the piece – it shows initiative and dedication when you walk in there with that black book. I also came prepared ready to give insight into my life and not just my professional background. That’s one thing people forget – always, always have more to say than just reiterating your resume. They know what you’ve done; they’ve done their research too. Lastly, I knew the brand. Whether it was myself or a family member who had bought the issue, I had read Hello! before. Never attempt to get a job somewhere you’re not passionate about. Mikayla:

What is your favourite thing about Journalism and studying it in school?

Jenn:

Journalism allows me to develop more extensive insight into the world around me, whether that be cultural, political, etc. In order to be successful at anything, you must know what is happening at any given point in today’s society. Fashion reflects our history as well as the advancement of present day. Aside from that, I’ve also had a love for story telling. Story telling will always be my number one love – whether I’m writing about lifestyle or not. It inspires me on a daily basis that journalists/writers/creatives give a voice to something that would not be heard otherwise.


Mikayla:

What are your future career plans and what can you see yourself doing in the next 5-10 years?

Jenn:

I’ve always been one to extensively plan out my future; it’s sort of a safety net to have my goals – near and far – drilled into my head. I also have this thing where I don’t like talking about them, in fear it may jinx it. I know… ridiculous. But I can say that New York is always the dream. Until then, I’ll be doing my best to gain experience whenever I can. I’m open-minded as to where that may be but keep my end destination close to heart. Mikayla:

What sort of content and features can we expect from the new blog that you are releasing?

Jenn:

My new platform will feature more design-orientated posts. Over the past year, I've even further developed my interests into all things design; interiors, art, fashion, etc. I've discovered that across all outlets, my aesthetic remains consistent. I hope that by discovering my blog, readers find it as an entire lifestyle – differentiating itself from the news related posts I’d previously done. There will still be some of that – being a journalist at heart - but it will be more about my life and interests separate from my career. The 'ethcs' side will incorporate more insightful and educated products, particularly on the beauty side of things, slowly converting to a more natural, cruelty-free beauty regime.

What Jenn Wore:

Dress & Sandals: Zara
Sunglasses: Nasty Gal
Sheer Kimono: ASOS
Bag: Topshop

Photography by Mikayla Kuehn

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment