Wednesday 7 January 2015

Style Profile: Brianna Kloostra

Brianna Kloostra IS a big deal. She is an 18-year-old talented model, and aspiring Interior Decorator. She is with one of the top renowned modeling agencies in Toronto, Elmer Olsen; has worked for companies and brands such as CHANEL and MAC Cosmetics; and has also taken up an interest in fitness. 

Brianna started modeling at just age 15, and had no idea what the industry was like, going into it. This small town girl has definitely come a long way since. 

After graduating from high school in June 2014, Brianna decided to take the year off and focus on working as a model. She will apply to Sheridan College soon, for the Interior Decorating Program that she hopes to attend in September 2015. 

I had the pleasure of taking her photo and also chatting with her about some of the experiences she has had modeling in the Fashion and Beauty industry - she conveniently lives right down the road from me!


Mikayla :

What is your favourite thing about modeling?

Brianna :

I really like how I get to have a variety of work in modeling. There's so many types of jobs and roles I get to play. As well as the opportunity to meet so many new, interesting people and visit cool locations.


Mikayla :

When you started modeling, did you find it difficult at all? Were you starting it as a hobby, or did you want to try to make a job out of it?

Brianna :

When I started modeling I knew absolutely nothing about the industry nor did my family. It was all a learning experience in the beginning, and I never knew what to expect. I definitely wanted it to be a part time job while I was still in school, though I would say modeling has become more of a lifestyle above all things.



Mikayla :

Are some jobs more fun than others? Give an example of the most memorable thing you have had the opportunity to do as a model.

Brianna :

For sure, there are jobs that I enjoy a lot more than others. My favourite job to this date would be when I was a part of a Chanel makeup demo. There were three of us models who had our makeup done in front of top bloggers from around Toronto. This took place in a suite at the Trump Hotel Toronto, and we were treated like absolute royalty! We were catered to all day with exquisite food and treats like macarons, and everything from the cotton pads to our shoes were Chanel. The best part of it all was going home with a goody bag of makeup they used to demonstrate on us.

Mikayla :

You mentioned that you have worked with Mac Cosmetics before, what did you do with them exactly and what did you like most?

Brianna :

Mac Cosmetics holds a lot of different events and promotions at their stores each month. I've had the opportunity to take part in many of these, from being a demo model to an actual character. One example was a weekend I spent at Yorkdale Mall handing out cotton candy to customers. I think what I've enjoyed most about working with Mac is that I actually know most of the artists now and get to work with them each time, they're a really fun group and treat me like family.



Mikayla :

How would you describe the modeling industry from your own experience? Would you say it is "tough" or "cut-throat" at all?

Brianna :

It is pretty cut-throat, there are hundreds of models showing up at castings during fashion week and the designers only choose approximately 15-30 models for one show. If you do not meet the requirements you do not get the job, simple as that. Everything from measurements, to your runway walk, and even the colour of you hair determine whether or not you are selected.

Mikayla :

Being in this industry, you must be able to network and meet a lot of different individuals. Are there any connections that have been helpful to you in this career, or other possible opportunities?

Brianna :

I have worked with clients before where they have rehired for me for other jobs. It's very important to leave a positive lasting impression because there are lots of other opportunities it can lead you to. Mac cosmetics is one definite example of this as they have hired me over and over again.



Mikayla :

Since you would like to pursue Interior Decorating, will modeling still be a part of your life, or are you hoping to just focus on just one career?

Brianna :

While I'm studying in school I will try to do modeling as well as long as it doesn't interfere too much with classes. I want to do modeling for as long as I can, but it does seem to be a short lived career for most. Interior decorating has always been my passion and I want to make it into a life long career.

Mikayla :

What made you decide you wanted to get into Interior Decorating? And why Sheridan?

Brianna :

I've always been creative and strong at art and interior spaces catch my attention. I have this strong urge to take a place and just transform it. I chose Sheridan because it one of the few schools that offer this program but I have heard positive things about it. I also toured the school to check it all out, and with it being in Oakville it's not far from home or especially Toronto where I can still continue modeling.



Mikayla :

Is there anyone or any company who you have yet to work with as a model, but hope to do so one day?

Brianna :

What model doesn't have Victoria's Secret on their mind?! It seems very far fetched, but I have recently witnessed a model from my own agency, be the single Canadian in Decembers 2014 runway show. This has shown me how attainable a dream can be, and I fan-girled over her the whole time.


What Brianna Wore:

Scarf - Garage
Sweater - Forever 21 
Boots - H&M

Photos by Mikayla Kuehn

© All content is my own. Feel free to use anything you would like, while giving proper credit. Thank you.

Below are some samples of work Brianna has done.

Photo by Alex Evans 

 Lacerda Spring 2014

An Event she did for Metro News - Wearing a dress made out of newspaper!

No comments:

Post a Comment