Friday 10 October 2014

Style Profile: Haley Campbell

Haley does hair; that's not all she does though. She is co-owner of Faun Boutique in downtown Port Hope, a business woman, an entrepreneur, mother of 4-year-old daughter, Isla, and much, much, more. 

You may find Haley at the back of her shop, in her creative hair-styling space at Faun. She opened Faun Boutique in March 2014. Faun triples as a clothing boutique, lingerie boutique, and Aveda salon. It is a main attraction for everyone, and has lots to offer. Haley does a lot of the salon work, her mother takes care of the lingerie department, and Eden Mason is the shop manager. Before Faun opened, the store location was Campbell's Clothing Company for 15 years.

Haley didn't just start doing hair in March; she has been doing it for years. It has always been one of her passions, and no matter what else she tried as a career, she would always go back to it. Haley has done everything from customer service, working at banks, and even was a waitress. Her schooling at Aveda Institute has definitely helped her become what she is today, and bring out her many talents at Faun. She has now been doing everything from hair for Weddings, Fashion show hair and makeup, editorial work, and magazine shoots. 

Read her full interview below and take a look at photos from my visit to Faun!


Mikayla:

How would you describe your personal style, and the way you dress?

Haley:

I would describe my personal style as "put together". I feel best in dresses with either a heel or slouchy boot. Though I do have many different styles, I always make sure that my outfit makes sense. Look your best, feel your best!

Mikayla:

Would you say that your own personal style effects what kinds of things you sell at Faun? How so?

Haley:

I always find that it is easiest to pull items off the rack that I would wear. That being said, always have an open mind. I, at times, have to remind myself that not everyone has the same style as me. Though it is important to have a representation of yourself. Its just as important to welcome all forms of style.




Mikayla:

How did you come up with the name "faun" (I love it!)

Haley:

My daughter Isla helped me with the name "Faun". We were reading a book about a baby "fawn" and it just popped into my mind. I wanted something collective and thought it fit perfectly. I researched the next day and found "faun, goddess of the forest" and that was it!

Mikayla:

How long have you been doing hair for?

Haley:

I have been doing (behind the scene hair for about six years) photo shoots and fashion shows. I received my hairstylist diploma two years ago from The Aveda Institute Toronto.

Mikayla:

Did you feel that the Aveda Institute prepared you well enough for your career?

Haley:

The Aveda Institute was an intense experience that I wouldn't give up for a million dollars. The education I was given, the people I brought into my life and the confidence I gained are something I will carry with me forever. 



Mikayla:

Do you ever feel pressured while styling hair, or afraid of what clients' opinions of your work will be? How do you deal with this? (If at all).

Haley:

Pressure and fear are a part of life. Being on the same page as your client is crucial. Once you are speaking the same language, you are golden. Showing you are afraid is the worst thing you can do. Use your fear, embrace it, and know you can do it.

Mikayla:

You seem like a very creative person. How does creativity play into your everyday job (hair styling) and owning a business?

Haley:

Creativity is my full time job. Whether I want it to be, or not, haha!! it starts at 7 am when my eyes open and stops when they close at night. Creativity runs through me like wild fire. I am always thinking of ways to better the shop, plan an event, or thinking about what shade of magenta I want to make my next clients hair. It's the way I have always been and it never stops!!


Haley whipped this braid up in probably 30 seconds! So, so pretty!


Mikayla:

In your opinion, what kinds of qualities does an individual need to process to be a successful entrepreneur or business owner like yourself?

Haley:

I approach each day with the same attitude; "Today, will be AMAZING." Having a positive attitude and believing in yourself is the best advice I can give. Try not to take criticism to heart or take it personally. Use it as a tool to better yourself and learn from it. Lastly, love who you work with. I have the best beauties by my side and have no idea what I would do without them.

Mikayla:

I recently interviewed a friend of yours, Kateyln Downes. She looks up to you and said in her interview with me that you are an inspiration of her's. What is your advice to young aspiring hair stylists like Katelyn?

Haley:

THIS IS SO SWEET!!! To Kate, and all the other babes with big dreams, don't wait to fulfill them. Educate yourself and get out there. My only regret is not doing it sooner. If you have the passion, its in you, and meant to be.



Mikayla:

Jenn McNaughton of ethcsofstyle.com stated in a recent blog post (featuring your boutique) "this combination of services is no doubt the way of the future". Would you say that the many things you offer can change or influence shopping of the future? Has there been many comments on the setup of your shop and how people feel about the "three in one" that you all offer?

Haley:

Retail and the way people shop is definitely changing. I believe in creating a shopping experience. Making it comfortable and easy for people. molding a relationship and a form of trust with the client. There isn't a better feeling than knowing a person is leaving the shop feeling/looking amazing.
The positive feedback and support from our community is beyond appreciated. Being welcomed as something "new and fresh" to the down-town is pretty spectacular.


Ladies at the shop that day (from left to right): Michelle Bandurchin (Stylist), Eden Mason (Shop Manager), Haley Campbell


What the Girls Wore:

Most items - Faun (Mink Pink, Dex, etc)
Haley's Shoes - Winners

All photos by Mikayla Kuehn

© All content is my own. Feel free to use anything you would like, while giving proper credit. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment