Friday 19 September 2014

Style Profile: Zoë Innanen

I had the opportunity to meet up with the lovely and beautiful Zoë Innanen in the city of Toronto a little while ago. She is a Fashion Communications student at Ryerson University, and this is her first year. She kindly took some of her time from her busy schedule to collaborate with me for an interview on my blog! 

I met Zoë through social media, on Instagram. I reached out to her because we had two things in common: a love for fashion, and wanting acceptance to Ryerson Univerity for Fashion Communications. She applied in February 2014, and received an early acceptance in March 2014. (I intentionally took this year off to work on my portfolio (a requirement for applying) and will apply February 2015.) 

Zoë is from Cambridge, Ontario and now living in Toronto and enjoying the city! In her classes so far, she says she had been working on a "Title Project" and also cutting out patterns for the first sewing assignment. It sounds like an intense work load, but sure is worth it when it's something you love! 

Some of Zoë's past fashion accomplishments include volunteering with Daniel Drak and Robert Ott, and also helping out with the huge fashion show at Ryerson, Mass Exodus. Read more about Zoë's experiences, inspirations, and goals below, and take a look at her stunning photos!


Mikayla:

What are some of your favourite pieces in your wardrobe? Anything you can't live without?

Zoë:

Key pieces in my wardrobe consist of very simple but stylish basics like white tanks and cream knit
sweaters. I’m definitely a sweater-and-leggings girl in the fall and winter! I also believe no girl’s
wardrobe is complete without a good leather jacket. As for something I can’t live without, I usually resort to my Marc by Marc Jacobs handbag when going out and I never take off my gold wishbone necklace from Dogearred Inc.

Mikayla:

When did you first become to realize your love for fashion? Or has it always been something you
knew you loved?

Zoë:

I don’t think I’ve always loved fashion, however, I’ve always had a say in what I wear. I never wore jeans as a kid and went through a phase where everything I wore had a horse or something horse related on it. I started to explore and find my love of fashion and style in middle school and started to slowly reach out of the typical brand name trend that was very popular at that time. I think my mom also influenced my love of fashion by expanding her boundaries in the way she dresses and the clothes she purchases.




Mikayla:

Who and what are your inspirations or role models in the fashion industry?

Zoë:

I found out about Alexa Chung in middle school and have loved her ever since! I love all things London based and appreciate her individuality in the way she dresses. I love Anna Dello Russo because she always takes risks and never conforms to how she is expected to dress for her age. My all-time favourite artist is Frida Kahlo, and I find her inspiring in art, fashion and life in general.

Mikayla:

How would you describe yourself as a person, and how does that influence what you wear? (If at
all). 

Zoë:

I would say I am a pretty outgoing and social person which reflects in the sense that I don’t like to blend in with what I wear. I love to wear something eye-catching or unique. 



Mikayla:

While completing your portfolio, what did you find the most challenging task was? 

Zoë:

For me the most challenging task was sewing my garment! Luckily my mom and grandma know how to sew so they pointed me in the right direction when I was having trouble.

Mikayla:

When applying to Ryerson, was there any doubt in your mind at all about being accepted? Did
you have a back up plan? 

Zoë:

Of course there was doubt! I was confident that the work I gave in was the best I could do, however I always had doubt that my best wouldn’t be good enough. I applied to similar college programs at Seneca, Humber and George Brown, but fortunately I got into my first choice at Ryerson. I think if I hadn’t gotten in, I would've taken a year off to work and tried again with a different portfolio.



Mikayla:

What things are you looking forward to most at Ryerson? In your classes, and also living in the
city of Toronto.

Zoë:

I’m looking forward to meeting people who share my interests and learning new things that I’m interested in! I look forward to improving my illustration skills and building my creative portfolio and knowledge of the industry in the next four years! As for Toronto, there are are so many opportunities to meet people in the business and attend events! I can’t wait.



Mikayla:

What do you hope to become after this program? Any certain career path in mind?

Zoë:

I am interested in buying, styling, merchandising and even working in a magazine right now, but I hope the next four years in this program opens my eyes to all sorts of different career paths!



What Zoë Wore:

Sweater - Roots
Boots - Wishbone
Socks - Steve Madden

(store and product linked - check it out!)

Photos by Mikayla Kuehn

© All content is my own. Feel free to use anything you would like, while giving proper credit. Thank you.

1 comment: