Monday 1 September 2014

Style Profile: Jacqueline Ryalls

Jacqueline Ryalls is becoming a Cosmetic Management student at Humber College this Fall in hopes to make a career out of either doing Fashion, Theater, or TV makeup. She is open to learning new things and seeing where this could take her! 

Jacqueline found her love for makeup just about two years ago. She began to grow more and more interested and also more aware of products she used on her face. As this hobby grew on her, and she practiced on herself regularly, Jacqueline started considering it as a possible education and career choice. Before, she had thought of doing Psychology, or even a Fashion Arts program, but always came back to her love for makeup.  

I had the chance to sit down and chat with Jacqueline before she headed off to live in residence at Humber College. We covered everything from her favourite cosmetic brands - to her life goals and ambitions. 


Mikayla:

When you think of fashion, what words or thoughts come to mind?

Jacqueline:

When I think of fashion, I think of the industry itself as well as all the people it ends up touching. It's currently a booming business, but it also holds a lot of practicality considering even the highest of fashions do eventually influence trends from designer to budget. Not to mention it becomes a unique yet visually important part of self-identification.

Mikayla:

Describe your idea of a perfect outfit for fall. What are your usual colour pallets?

Jacqueline:

My perfect outfit for fall would consist of coloured jeggings, a simple top or blouse, a cardigan or light jacket, and either riding boots or ballet flats. My usual colour pallet would consist of jewel tones like plum, royal blue, and ruby red, as well as more muted cool colours like pine green, and burgundy.

Mikayla:

What kinds of things does your eye usually go towards? (In makeup, clothing, etc)

Jacqueline:

For makeup, I really like interesting eyeshadow colour combinations and deep contrasts between different areas of the face. In fashion, my eye tends to get caught on androgynous silhouettes, chunky heels, a great jacket, and colour blocking.



Mikayla:

What are you looking forward to most about going to makeup school?

Jacqueline:

I'm most excited about learning more about the hobby I've come to love so much. Makeup is a skill and it will be really fun and rewarding to be able to work on that skill full-time in the context of school.

Mikayla:

What do you wish to get out of this program?

Jacqueline:

I hope that the program prepares me to be a makeup artist either for work immediately after school, or for post-grad paths should I take them.



Mikayla:

What kind of career would you like to potentially pursue?

Jacqueline:

As of now I think fashion makeup, makeup for film/TV, and theatre makeup sound the most appealing, but I'm very open to all prospects and potential careers.

Mikayla:

Why did you choose Humber and that specific program?

Jacqueline:

I chose Humber because of its great location, and its good reputation as a college in Ontario and Canada. The program's dual focus on artistry and business was what made Humber the most appealing option as knowing business can't be anything but good in the beauty industry.



Mikayla:

What brands or specific beauty products would be your all time favourites? Any certain suggestions?

Jacqueline:

My personal holy grail brand for foundation and concealer is definitely NARS. They offer products that work really well with dry skin, and they tend to last a long time as you never really need to use much product. Their blushes are, of course, also incredibly great and fun to use. For drugstore products, Maybelline's One by One mascara is probably one of the best out there, although I've also heard great things about Physician's Formula mascara. The Revlon lip butters are also quite a good product considering their price.

Mikayla:

What is your favourite day look for makeup? And night look?

Jacqueline:

My favourite day look consists of neutral eyeshadows, short and slender eyeliner wings, light contouring, and a blotted red lip. My favourite night time look would probably involve more colourful and dramatic eyeshadows, thicker eyeliner, heavier contouring, and a more neutral pink or dark lip.


Mikayla:

Since your program is only a year long, are you planning on starting your career right away after? Or going for more education?

Jacqueline:

I'm currently undecided on my future after this program because I have quite a few options to choose from. I may go into another program at Humber for a few years, or work a while and go back into a makeup-specific school, or simply start working. I'm pretty happy with the options that I have though.

Photos taken by Mikayla Kuehn

© All content is my own. Feel free to use anything you would like, while giving proper credit. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment